Chinese herbal medicine is a traditional treatment method that originated from China. This practice of treating people has been around for more than thousand years. Chinese herbal medicine is a remedy for severaldifferent ailments, including treating nerve pain.
Today, you are going to learn about the history of Chinese herbal medicine, studies on Chinese herbal medicine in treating neuropathy, and types of Chinese herbal medicine.
History of Chinese Herbal Medicine
Chinese herbal medicine came about in the second century B.C. with the first written descriptions about a variety of different diseases dating back to the Shang Dynasty era (1600 to 1464 B.C.).
However, there is not a record of the medical techniques they used at that time.
The “Yellow Emperor’s Inner Canon” is the first clear medical book. In the book, the author has mentioned the use of acupuncture to influence the Yin and Yang.
This book and other books related to the practice of Chinese herbal medicine discussed a diverse set of methods based on traditional physical concepts.
Additionally, you can find evidence of the use of Chinese herbal medicine to treat medical conditions in the book called “Recipes for 52 Ailments,” which was discovered in 168 B.C. in a tomb.
Most of the knowledge of Chinese herbs comes from the book, “Shennong’s Materia Medica,” discovered in 2800 B.C. The book mentions more than 365 Chinese herbs as well as some minerals and substances. This knowledge has been used to create modern medicines.
However, presently, in China, traditional Chinese medical practices have taken a backseat to Western medicine and medical techniques on the forefront of the medical field. Even then, the use of herbal plants and flowers in modern day medicine is prevalent.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), 11% of the 252 drugs that they consider as basic and important belong to the flowering plant origin.
- Researchers stated that 80% of the 122 plant derived medication had a traditional medicine use similar to or related to the present use by the pharmaceutical sector of plant’s active elements.
- Around 120 recognized licensed medicines originally came from plant sources (aspirin from willow, digoxin from foxglove, and steroids from the Mexican yam).
Studies: How Chinese Herbal Medicine Works for Neuropathy?
The following studies shed light on the effectiveness of Chinese herbal medicine in treating neuropathy:
- Researchers discovered that a compound taken from a traditional Chinese herbal medicine has been proven to be effective in relieving nerve pain.
- Researchers concluded that Chinese herbal medicine can improve nerve repair and regeneration in people diagnosed with diabetic peripheral neuropathy (DPN). They also noted that in comparison to Western medicine, Chinese herbal medicine has the upper hand in providing DPN patients with several therapeutic effects on more than one targets.
- Researchers stated that Chinese herbal medicine is a well-tolerated and effective medical alternative for treating patients experiencing painful sensations in their hands, feet, legs, and arms, especially in the case of older patients with DPN.
- Researchers noted that aconitum, a Chinese herbal medicine, is a safe and promising treatment for patients with DPN.
- Researchers suggested that most paths involved in the pain-relieving effects of Chinese herbal medicines are neuroprotective, anti-apoptotic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and calcium inhibitory actions.
Chinese Herbs That May Alleviate Chronic Nerve Pain
The following Chinese herbs alleviate chronic nerve pain:
Corydalis is a Chinese herb you can use to treat chronic nerve pain as well as allergies, cataracts, inflammation, and cardiovascular conditions. Since this herb is associated with the opium poppy, it contains a few of the same sedative and pain-relieving properties as its close relative. However, it is milder than the opium poppy in its effects.
Valerian is a Chinese herb that benefits chronic pain, ceasing it. The use of the herb dates back to the ancient Greeks and Romans. The rhizomes and roots of the plant are used to create supplements. The plant contains relaxing, antispasmodic, and anticonvulsant properties. You can use it to treat chronic nerve pain, emotional stress, hysteria, restlessness, anxiety, insomnia, shingles, and backaches.
Meadowsweet is a Chinese herb that prevents chronic nerve pain. The flowering top and flowers are used medicinally. The herb contains pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties. You can use the herb to treat nerve pain, chronic gastritis, flu, colds, rheumatoidarthritis and inflammation of skin, muscles, and nerves.
Ginseng is a Chinese herb that is available in several different varieties. Out of all the varieties of ginseng available, the Asian ginseng is the most recommended variety to be used for treating nerve pain. You can use to treat chronic nerve pain, stress, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, joint pain, and headaches.
Camphor is a Chinese herb that comes from the camphor tree. It is a waxy substance that comes from the wood of the camphor tree. You will find the large camphor tree throughout eastern Asia. You can rub the camphor wax on your skin for topical pain relief. You can use it to treat nerve pain and chest congestion due to flu and colds.
6. Du Huo
Du Huo or angelica root is a Chinese herb with pain-relieving properties. You can use the herb to treat nerve pain, joint inflammation, arthritis related pain, lower back pain, and sciatica. It is claimed that it can also strengthen the body to prevent injury.
*Note: Before taking any herb to treat nerve pain or any chronic illness, you need to discuss it with your doctor first about the possible side effects and correct dosage.
If you are dealing with chronic pain and you want to take Chinese herbal medicine to treat it, you will find several supplements made from these ancient herbs. It is not a guarantee what works for another person will work for you, which is why it is a good thing that several different Chinese herbs for the treatment of nerve pain exist, thus allowing you to find one that works best for you.